WHAT THE NOMINEES SAID…
What the nominees said concerning this morning’s announcements…
This is my fifth nomination and I’m more proud of that than all the rest of it, I think. Getting nominated, to me, that’s the plateau. After you’re nominated, it’s like a crap shoot. It’s like throwing dice.
– MORGAN FREEMAN, BEST ACTOR nominee for INVICTUS
It was a phone call that interrupted a wonderful night’s sleep that I was having. It was the phone call. It was the phone call that you always hear people saying, ‘I was awoken by the ring of the phone‘ and that’s exactly what happened with me. – SANDRA BULLOCK, BEST ACTRESS nominee for THE BLIND SIDE
I thought I was managing my expectations, but on hearing the news I discovered new and unfamiliar vocal tones. Perhaps I should do another musical.
– COLIN FIRTH, BEST ACTOR nominee for A SINGLE MAN
I’m just going to carry on with my life and be thankful and that’s it. My celebration days – which were huge – are now slightly modified, shall we say. At my exalted age I can’t quite do the old 24 hour nightly shifts that I used to.
– CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER, on receiving his first ACADEMY AWARD nomination for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR in THE LAST STATION
I’m very happy and honoured for Christopher, myself and our film. I think Tolstoy himself would have been perplexed by all this, but Sofya, his wife, would have been over the moon. So in that spirit, I am too.
– HELEN MIRREN, BEST ACTRESS nominee for THE LAST STATION
It was like a really good, friendly punch in the stomach. It’s a good feeling, but it’s like a jolt. You can be in as many top five lists and have as many people say things to you on red carpets as you like…and it doesn’t for a single second make you honestly think that you’re going to get nominated.
– CAREY MULLIGAN, BEST ACTRESS nominee for AN EDUCATION
I am proud and grateful to stand with these women who have given such a range of beautiful, indelible performances this year.
– MERYL STREEP on her record sixteenth nomination for acting (this time as BEST ACTRESS in JULIE & JULIA)